High School Football Admist Covid-19

Ethan Steinberg '21, Co Editor

The Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) Football Committee has been working non stop to come up with a plan for the 2020 season with the hopes of having a modified season, but a season nonetheless.

Spring 2020 saw the likes of baseball, softball, lacrosse, and track get cancelled ending the high school careers of many seniors who left their beloved sport with a bitter taste in their mouth of not having a senior season.

The MIAA has made it clear that they are doing everything possible to allow students to have a season during the 2020-21 school year; however, with much modification, keeping in mind that they have to abide by the rules and keep safety of students as the number one priority.

With all of this in mind, the MIAA decided to push the start of the football season to February 22, five months later than normal. The goal of this move is that football season will have no regulations by then and the season will be as similar as possible for fans and players. This is a very important move by the MIAA as it is the only sport to have taken this approach.

Westborough High School senior Kevin McCarthy had a great junior campaign. Starting at running back and linebacker for the rangers, McCarthy made a run at League MVP before eventually losing to teammate Luke Lentine. McCarthy is regarded as a top player in the league and is anticipated to have a phenomenal season once again.

McCarthy shares, “As of right now, we are starting February 22… obviously this is abnormal and going to require adaptation, but our team as a whole is really looking forward to it. Our large senior group has been waiting for our turn in this program and although we are unable to play this fall, we are very excited to hopefully kick off this winter and make a deep run. We have been working hard all summer long under a new staff, so our guys are motivated and we’re doing everything we can to prepare for success.”

This mindset is a great sign for the Rangers who are looking to make a playoff after a disappointing end to the 2019 season.

McCarthy ended his thought by adding, “Everything is looking to be the same, just pushed back five months.”

Assuming everything goes to plan, fans should expect to be wearing shorts and a t-shirt under the lights at the end of the football season in the spring!