Rangers Gymnastics: A Comeback Season

Lauren Chandler '20, Contributing Writer

The Westborough High School Girls Gymnastics Team recently ended their season with a win on February 4. The team competed against Groton-Dunstable Regional High School at Massachusetts Gymnastics Center in Westborough.

The team had a great time working with a new coach, Rebecca Leary, for the 2020 season. 

According to senior captains Cecilia Goetz and Diya Mathew, “We weren’t expecting much having a completely new coach that we’d never met, but we were pleasantly surprised. She led us to four wins which hasn’t happened at all during our high school careers.”  

This gymnastics season had some of the best scores that the team had seen in years. The addition of team members freshmen Jaya Buradagunta, Melinda Haagensen, and Kylah Rice along with new member junior Emma Proffitt played a large role in leading the team to victory. 

Some of the highlights of the season include: two wins over Shrewsbury with one of the wins with a score of 135 ponts. This is the highest team score achieved in 4 years. The other wins were against Hudson and Groton-Dunstable. 

Goetz and Mathew are very proud of the team’s performance and are excited for the future of WHS gymnastics. 

They share, “We have had a lot of fun team spirit with all of our new teammates and we are really going to miss spending time in the gym together.”