The WHS Firestarter: P.E. Teacher Mr. Gill

Noah Lieberman

WHS Physical Education Teacher Mr. Gill hopes to influence students to lead healthy lifestyles.

Noah Lieberman '21 and Tyler Ramm '21, Contributing Writers

Growing up in a sports-loving family, WHS Physical Education teacher Mr. Gill has always taken an interest in different aspects of an athletic lifestyle. From attending Messiah College in Pennsylvania, working for a year in Williamstown, and then teaching in Framingham for 16 years, Mr. Gill ended up at his final destination at Westborough High School two years ago. Since then, diverse gym classes have been introduced that are driven by student interests, and Mr. Gill couldn’t be more excited. 

Mr. Gill believes that some of the most important skills to learn in school are incorporated into the low adventure gym class.

He shares, “For low adventure, it’s more about team building, working together, communication, and learning how to solve a problem as a group.”

Students will learn all of these vital skills plus more in this class focused on teamwork. Another one of his most popular classes includes outdoor endeavors, which focuses on survival skills, such as lighting fires. Students taking this class can also expect to enjoy other fun activities such as geocaching in the nearby Mill Pond hiking trails.

Mr. Gill will also be chaperoning a school trip later this year to different National Parks.

When asked about the Grand Canyon, Mr. Gill explains, “I’ve been to the Grand Canyon before, and of course I’m excited to go back there, it’s pretty awesome.”

He is also excited to visit Bryce National Park and Zion National Park for the very first time. 

At the end of the day, Mr. Gill, as well as the rest of the Physical Education and Health department staff hope to influence students to embrace healthy lifestyles and introduce new activities in upcoming school years that will encourage students and challenge them in unique way.