Senior Testimonial: Matt Doherty

Matt Doherty '19

The past four years at Westborough High School have been one roller coaster of a ride. I remember the night before freshman year I couldn’t sleep, I was so nervous and excited, I had no idea what to expect.

Soon enough I was immersed into the fast paced hectic lifestyle of being a Westborough student. On top of that, I was trying to balance sports with academics. Everything seemed so hard and confusing but I knew I would figure it out.

I made some really good friends freshman year, and we are still friends today. Thanks Ryan, Will, Matt, Vince, Quinn, and of course Mike for always being around and providing many laughs and building some unbreakable friendships.

I made more friends on the basketball team throughout my time at the high school. Many of them who were great leaders and role models.

I had the special opportunity to play four years of basketball with my brother and an amazing coach in Coach Willar. Together we were able to accomplish something that hasn’t been done in the past 28 years of Westborough High school’s history. My dreams as an athlete would not have come into fruition if it weren’t for my fellow, talented seniors to help make it possible. Thank you to Quinn, Dom, Jack, and Jake for being the most competitive people I know and always striving for greatness.

Basketball taught me to never give up and to always believe in yourself even when you are unsure at times. I found my voice through basketball and truly developed as a human during my time on the team.

Basketball has always been a huge part of myself and have provided a ton of life long memories. My favorite part about my last year of basketball was being able to game plan and talk mental strategies with the one and only Mrs. Stoker.

Mrs. Stoker has always been there for me in times of need and has helped shape and develop me into the person I am today. Having journalism with her for four years is definitely on the top of my list of favorite high school memories. Originally Journalism was only supposed to last two years–my freshman and sophomore year. When those two years ended I was so sad, I did not want to leave Mrs. Stoker and her class. I was lucky enough to become an intern and work for The Lobby Observer editorial group. That crew that we had was an absolute unit, shout out to Lindsey, Ali, Sarissa, Jenna, Grace, and everyone else that was with us that year.

End of junior year comes and Mrs. Stoker surprises us with the best news ever. The school had approved of a Journalism three class. Everyday for the last year of my high school career, I was fortunate enough to spend everyday doing something I loved.

Friends, basketball, and journalism were what made my high school experience so memorable. I will never forget all the amazing people I have met throughout the years and all that I have accomplished during high school.

I can’t believe that this is goodbye, but like my dad always said, “Life’s hard its harder when you’re stupid.” So one last thanks to Westborough High School for providing me with a good education and a great foundation.

It’s been real. Peace out. ~ Matt Doh