The Turkey Trot: An Unbelievable Success Yet Again

Emily Bruck, Audrey Soukup

On the frosty morning of Saturday, November 17, roughly 900 proud citizens of Westborough showed up at Westborough High School to run the annual Turkey Trot. The Turkey Trot is a 5k run (about 3.1 miles) that circles around parts of Westborough. It starts and ends at Westborough High School with many supporters and participants cheering for the runners. Every year, the Turkey Trot has an amazing turnout and shows the true enthusiasm and support our town possesses.

This annual event is looked forward to by many living in and out of Westborough. This year’s turnout was quite remarkable with over 900 runners participating in the 5k as well as the Kids Fun Run. WHS Senior Abby Hammond started out the day by singing the national anthem. The enthusiasm continued thanks to senior Jack Lentine as the official DJ for the event. There were a variety of sponsors including the Westborough Civic Club, Roche Brothers, and TD Bank in addition to Red Heat Tavern and DCU providing granola bars and trail mix to the runners. There was also a tremendous amount of hard work given by Westborough High School Student Council, National Honors Society, and Key Club, who ran the water station, guided runners throughout the course and worked with those participating in the Kids Fun Run. These groups contributed to the success of the event.

Multiple WHS student runners are able to remark upon their experience running or helping with the Turkey Trot. WHS Sophomore Kayleigh McCabe was there with the Key Club handing out waters and fruit to runners.

She comments on about the day: “It was so special seeing all the people gather up together as a town and run. There were so much enthusiasm and happiness despite the freezing weather.”

WHS Sophomore Eva Drotch ran the Turkey Trot for the first time this year and comments upon the tremendous support throughout: “It was awesome to see everyone participating and cheering on their fellow runners, I really enjoyed it and I’ll definitely be doing it again next year!”

These two student participants show only a smaller fraction of the happiness and enthusiasm that took place on November 17th. Westborough High School’s athletic director and school principal, Mrs. DiCarlo and Mr. Callaghan were spotted running the Turkey Trot with smiles on their faces!

The 2018 Westborough Turkey Trot could not have been such a success without the abundance of volunteers as well as sponsors. It is evident that this year’s annual Turkey Trot was a big success.