Homecoming Festival- A Time to Remember

By: Eva Drotch ‘21 and Kaitlyn Tarzia ‘21

Westborough High School’s Student Council held their Homecoming Festival on October 12, 2018 from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Homecoming Festival is an event that brings not only the Westborough High School community together, but the town of Westborough to celebrate school spirit in preparation for the football game, which was the following day, October 13, at 2:00 pm.

The festival included booths, games, food trucks, a silent auction, and lots of dancing!

The student council members who chaired this lively event were sophomores, Julia French and Derek Lu, and they were overseen by Student Council President and senior Harrison Israel, and the Events Overseer junior Miara Sasdi.   

The event was a huge success.

French expressed great pride in the turnout, “I thought it went really well. We had a big turnout, much bigger than last year. There were lots of booths and many high schoolers and younger kids came.”

WHS students who attended the festival found the event overwhelmingly positive.

Sophomores Aidan Clark reports, “The event was awesome, there were a lot of games and prizes, and the food trucks were great!”

Freshman, Riley McNamara, even gave the festival a ten out of ten!

“The event was awesome, there were a lot of games and prizes, and the food trucks were great!”

— Aidan Clark '21

Despite some setbacks regarding the ongoing construction and the date of the festival being changed a few times, Student Council was prepared for everything and was still able to put together an amazing festival.

During the festival, there were both varsity and jv field hockey games on the WHS  Hays Field at 4:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Although it wasn’t the football game, students were still able to support a school team during the festival, while also attending the event. Some field hockey players even reported hearing the music while they played.

One of the many perks of attending Homecoming Festival was getting to purchase food from food trucks. There were three food trucks at the event, Birds Nest, Grub Guru, and Uhlman’s.  

Chick-fil-A was also scheduled to come, but due to a miscommunication, they did not make an appearance. Lu shared some information regarding why they didn’t come.

He explains, “Chick-fil-a did not attend because they thought the event was canceled due to the football game, but instead we called them up to try to bring Chick-fil-a over to Westborough. But instead, they went to Shrewsbury high school.”

Lu continues to reassure students, “Don’t worry, Chick-fil-a will come to one of our events.”

Homecoming was an unforgettable night and Lu wants to remind the community of Westborough to “be on the lookout for next year, it’s going to be bigger and better.”