Homecoming 2018: A Breakthrough Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming 2018: A Breakthrough Year

Bethany Woodcock, Managing Editor

The WHS Homecoming Festival, organized annually by the Westborough High School Student Council, had its first breakthrough in years. With the incorporation of  food trucks and vendors this year, Stuco pulled off a successful event, drawing in a wide variety of community members.

“It was so cool to finally see people enjoy this event that we spent so long planning for. All of our hard work paid off,” says Student Council President, senior Harrison Israel.

His excitement for the festival was echoed among the attendees.

While high school students chatted with their peers, adults socialized and said hello to friends they haven’t seen in awhile, while future Rangers were at the kid’s table, doing arts and crafts and making bracelets.

Meanwhile, senior Jack Lentine, also well known as “DJ Gogimal,” helped to bring the event together, bringing positive vibes to the parking lot.

Previously held in the lower parking lot of the high school, the festival was moved to the upper parking lot, as both the junior varsity and varsity field hockey teams played simultaneously against Nashoba on the Jimmy Hayes upper field.

Some of the athletes stopped by after their games to enjoy Uhlman’s Ice Cream, the Grub Guru, and Bird’s Nest, the food trucks that attended the event.

There were also several WHS clubs who showed up to raise money for their organizations.

The Class of 2020 held a cake walk to support their funding towards prom, meanwhile the Genesis Club had a bake sale to raise money for the Genesis Foundation.

Junior Miara Sasdi, the Homecoming Event Director, comments, “I think the addition of having the food trucks and the hard work of the executive board and general council helped to create a successful event that resulted in great turnout from the student and the town of Westborough.

I am so proud that everyone came together and worked really hard to make this possible.”

— Miara Sasdi

Sporting their navy blue shirts, Stuco members worked alongside Sasdi to put this event on. Seventy-nine students worked together for the past two months to make sure the event was seamless.

This is the same Council who has won multiple state, and national awards. They pooled all of their efforts into this day, and their hard work clearly paid off.

Sasdi saw this event as the birth of a much larger event in the future.

“This is just the beginning of the revival of homecoming. We have been trying for years to figure out what it takes to get students to show up to homecoming, because it has never been a big deal in Westborough,” says Sasdi. “I think we finally figured it out. I am so excited to see the even bigger and more successful event next year.”