Twins Separated for First Time in Life: Chris Amador and Greg Amador

By: Jake Hughes '19 and Dan Bugaev '19, Contributing Writers

Imagine being side by side with your best friend for your entire life. It’s all you know. And then, you’re separated. You’re off on your own for the first time in your life. Chris and Greg Amador, identical twins, had this exact experience starting in late summer. Greg was off to Clark University to play soccer for their collegiate program and study molecular biology. Chris decided not to continue playing soccer and further his academic career at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. They were separated for the first time in their life.

When asked what this transition was like for them, Chris said: “It was weird at first but it isn’t that bad because we can text whenever and I still live stream a majority of his games.”

Greg had a similar response, noting: “It was weird for the first few weeks because we’ve spent basically every day together for 18 years, but I think we both like being able to be our own person.”

This transition was very smooth for both of them once they had gotten used to it. Obviously, it’s going to be very different at the beginning, but they have enjoyed being able to be their own person. It seems that even if they don’t live together, they still feel connected.

Their transition to college work and sports was also a new adjustment. Greg has had some free time on his hands, even with college soccer: “Time management has been a bit of an adjustment. I have pretty rigid hours. I need to get in homework and studying before soccer, but it’s definitely manageable. There’s more free time then you might think to be able to get everything done.”

Chris has adjusted to the Zoo life pretty well: “The first week was difficult, but now that my routine has become normal it has become easy to settle in.”

Greg and Chris have differing lives at college, with Chris being a student and Greg being a student-athlete. Greg loves the friendships from his teammates and having the ability to play.

On the other hand, Chris tends to have a lot of free time and often procrastinates his work. Chris misses the competitiveness of sports, but doesn’t regret his decision to not play soccer in college.

The Amador’s have been able to stay connected in their new college lives.

Chris has been able to visit Greg at some of his games, and they have gone to their friend’s BC soccer games together. On long weekends, the brothers can come back to Westborough and see each other. Most weekends don’t work out though since Greg has practice.

When they can’t see each other Chris said, “There have been a few facetimes as well, so we stay pretty connected.”

Greg and Chris are loving their time at college, even though they may be separated. It’s a great experience for them to learn how to be their own people.

Greg is loving the amazing experiences of college: “College is a pretty awesome time, and you can definitely be/do whatever you want. I enjoy being able to make my own name for myself. Being able to play a sport has been a great experience, and I think everyone should try to get involved somehow, regardless of if they’re a student athlete.”

Chris has been pretty focused on his schoolwork: “There are just a few tests per course. It causes these tests to count for a majority of your course grade which causes me to study a lot more in the upcoming days of the tests. I have joined one academic club and I am also on an intramural soccer team with some club and cmass friends.” They both are thriving at college and we hope for the best for their academic and athletic careers.