Brian Willar: New Addition to the WHS Teaching Staff

By: Jackson Katz ’20 and Brendan McCafferty ’20

Brian Willar, a two-time Central Massachusetts Mid-Wach basketball league champion coach for WHS is now officially a teacher at Westborough High School.

Willar began his career as a social worker with a bachelor’s degree in Social Science. He also has a master’s degree in Health, Physical Education and Recreation. He attended Westfield State for his undergraduate degree and received his master’s degree at Emporia State University in Emporia, Kansas. His master’s degree lead him to his career as a physical education teacher and a basketball coach.

As a teacher, Willar began his career at the Abby Kelley charter school in Worcester, Massachusetts.  He started as a gym teacher for kids in grades K-3. After five years, he began teaching at their high school.  He now teaches three classes at WHS and two classes at Armstrong Elementary School.

Willar was ecstatic to receive a job teaching at Westborough High School because he can check in with his players throughout the day.

“It’s great.  When I was young,  I checked in with my coach 4 times a week,” says Willar.

He also comments that it was perfect timing when he got the job as his son started his freshman year at the Westborough High School.

Willar has lived in Westborough for 20 years and has two children, a freshman and a sixth grader, going through the acclaimed Westborough educational system. He also lives very close to the school, loves the community, and has wanted to be a teacher at the high school for a very long time.

When asked about his transition into the new school, Willar said “It’s been a very smooth transition, as the teachers here are helpful and open.  And the P.E. system is great.”

Willar originally grew up in Oxford, Massachusetts, and played basketball ever since he was a child.

Talking about his past, “That’s what we did in the summer. We played pickup basketball all the time!” says Willar.

He never made the Clark Tournament as a player, but as a coach has made the finals the last two years.

As a coach, Willar began his career coaching the Westborough freshman basketball team in 2005 and in 2011 took over the varsity head coaching job.

He is very excited about the upcoming basketball season. Willar talks highly of the talent coming up, and giving the younger players a chance to have a big role on the team.

He remarks, “If we work hard, we really have a chance to do some big things. I like the vibe of the basketball program right now.”

Willar is looking to kick off his teaching career in Westborough like he has with his coaching career–as a champion.