Roger Waters Concert Review

Roger Waters Concert Review

By Stephen Geller

Roger Waters’s “2010 The Wall Tour” recently hit Boston, and it was certainly a concert that will never be forgotten. Roger Waters is best known for his affiliation with the world-renowned band Pink Floyd. As cofounder of the rock band, he helped create the group in the late 1960’s. The band’s most prominent years were during the 1970’s and early 1980’s. Although the group is no longer together, Roger Waters still performs today, at the age of 67 years old. 

On October 1, 2010, Roger Waters stopped in Boston, Massachusetts and played a show at the Boston Garden. He was accompanied by an extremely talented group of musicians who substituted for the original members of the band. “The Wall” one of Pink Floyds most famous albums was the theme of the magnificent concert. The entire album was played from start to finish in just about three hours.            

The show was undoubtedly a once in a lifetime experience for all who were in attendance. From the props and lighting affects, to the stellar and flawless music, everything about the concert was perfect. The stadium was packed to full capacity; there was no sign of an empty seat.

Perhaps the most memorable thing of all was the massive 450 cardboard brick wall that spread across the entire stadium in front of the stage. The wall was put up over the course of the show until it reached maximum size. The build up of the enormous wall occurred simultaneously with concert.

When the last song was played, the final brick was added to the wall and the band could no longer be seen, although they continued to play. Throughout the entire show, the somewhat constructed wall was used as a projector screen for old Roger Waters and Pink Floyd music videos. This scene provided a greater sense that the actual band was playing before the audiences’ eyes.

When the concert was over, and the wall was completely assembled, it was knocked down, signaling the conclusion of the concert. The wall collapsing sparked a deafening applause from everyone in the stadium.

Roger Waters’ performance, along with the rest of the band was nothing short of spectacular. Every song sounded exactly like it did on the album. There wasn’t a single note missed, timing was never thrown off and the pitch and tone of the singing was exact.

Even at the age of 67, Roger Waters hasn’t lost an ounce of musical ability. He hit every high note and every low note. He was flawless on the guitar as well. “Mother” a song on the album “The Wall” quite possibly was the best part of the show. Roger Waters sat alone at the center of the stage, and sang the lyrics as he played the acoustic guitar. The emotion and passion that he played with was exhilarating. His love for the music and performing was expelled into the crowd.

During the concert, it was nearly impossible to tell that the original band members weren’t all playing because of the excellent back up band. Overall, Roger Waters presence and performance was life changing. It took all his fans back to the glory days, when Pink Floyds’ rein began.

In a way, at some point in the show, everyone in the arena became united. The immense population of people danced and sang in unison with the band. At quick glance, the whole audience appeared to have the motion of one massive wave, moving together to the rhythm of the music. In that moment, a strong bond between all the people could felt, it was so powerful. The show was epic and pure, and renewed beautiful music that was produced so many years ago by the original Pink Floyd band.

Roger Waters “2010 The Wall Tour”, may be his last tour unfortunately. But it’s definitely a great way for him to close out a truly impressive and inspirational career. He, along with Pink Floyd will be remembered as one of the most inspiring and creative bands of all time.