Carolyn Gencarelli: Senior Testimonial

Carolyn Gencarelli '23, Executive Producer

I want to start off my testimonial by thanking all of the amazing teachers and peers who have shaped me into the person I am today. From an early age, I have had great support system through any challenge or interest. One of my greatest supporters is my older sister, Corina. Without her, I would’ve never had the opportunity to spend three years in room C115.

As a sophomore, I made the decision to start my journalism journey after seeing the support and success it provided for my sister. I am so glad I was able to share this experience and make one of my own. Unfortunately, the pandemic hit. My journalism teacher Mrs. Stoker, though, maintained a wonderful spirit and tried her best every day to make our time more positive on zoom.

Junior year then began and it was time to find a new normal. I was able to focus on broadcasts and truly found something I enjoyed. I loved being able to interview peers from school and provide entertaining videos for the school to enjoy. Some of my favorite broadcasts that I have done are This or That with Yael Bugaev; and most recently working on our Senior Video.

With more businesses opening back up in Westborough, I was able to see what it is like to be a true journalist. I had the opportunity to visit different restaurants, coffee shops, and local businesses to write my own reviews. I was able to meet a variety of people along with learning about the businesses of Westborough.

Senior year went by like a breeze. With the many fun visits to Westborough TV. Thank you, Karen Henderson. Working with you allowed me to expand my journalism experience in a professional setting.

We had such an amazing environment in the classroom and this made my senior year journalism experience whole.

Outside of journalism, the high school gymnastics team had a great season during my senior year. We broke school records, and I was able to bond with all the girls and find some of my closest friends.

My advice to those finishing up high school or even just entering would be to enjoy each and every minute as you will find time passes very quickly in high school. These are some of the moments that you will hold for years to come, enjoy it!

As my time at Westborough is coming to an end, I would also like to give special thanks to Mrs. Apuzzo Langton, Mr. O’Brien, and of course Mrs. Stoker. All of these teachers have provided me so much that I will take with me through my journey at UMass Amherst. Without their help, my high school experience would not have been the same.