English Teacher Ms. Perryman: A WHS Icon

Bram Lieberman '25

Ms. Perryman working with her students.

Bram Lieberman '25, Contributing Writer

Ms. Perryman is an iconic member of the WHS faculty. She is a pioneer of ideas who makes students feel heard, and provides them new ways to connect to the literature they are reading.

Her roots as an English teacher truly began in her experiences in school where she gained her love of learning.

She shared, “I loved school; [I was a] total nerd, [I] completely loved school.”

Born in Brooklyn, New York, Ms. Perryman grew up in White Plains, New York.

When asked about who inspired her in her school career, Ms. Perryman recalled her 10th grade English teacher, Mrs. Boersma, and her 12th grade English teacher, Mr. Feori. Both were figures to whom she looked up.

After earning her education, Ms. Perryman began her teaching career in New Jersey, where she taught for three years at Hillsborough High School. Not too long after, Ms. Perryman began her teaching career here at WHS. She has been working here since 1990.

Ms. Perryman’s personal favorite course to teach is the Modernism elective, which she started with the art teacher and music teacher at the time.

“It’s just a wonderful experience as a teacher to be able to teach something with other people who are experts in their field,” she said.

Ms. Perryman’s other favorites also include AP literature and the sophomore curriculum.

When asked about her favorite experiences with coworkers, Ms. Perryman explained how the English department is notorious for their pranks (though there haven’t been many since the pandemic began, she said). One of her favorites, she recalls, was when a whole generation of students were convinced that Mr. Chapman played the keytar for a Led Zeppelin cover band called “Black Dog.” Ms. Perryman really enjoys how much fun it is to pull pranks, joking, “Y’know people will fall for pretty much anything.”

Above all else, Ms. Perryman’s favorite thing about being an English teacher is the students.

She shared, “I mean it sounds really corny but [my favorite part is] the students; I love everybody just being in a room talking about ideas–y’know we’re talking about books but we’re really talking about ideas.”

Ms. Perryman’s favorite piece of literature is Hamlet. “I think it’s the greatest thing that’s ever been written.”

She also enjoys teaching and talking about the play, which adds to her love of it.

Ms. Perryman’s most valuable takeaway from being a teacher is seeing students finally feel like they have something, and feeling like she has made a difference in how they view literature.

“The idea that you can help other people to feel that books are special and that they can write about books, and that they can see the world and that their ideas matter and that they can communicate them well…I think that that’s really special,” she reflected.

Ms. Perryman is an amazing educator, and inspires her students to strive for more. Consider stopping by if you want to chat about what it truly means to be human, or, if you just want a friendly face to talk to.