WHS Alum: Leigh (Hopkins) Walker Remembers 80’s Big Hair, Polo Shirts, and Fire Crackers in the WHS Lobby

WHS Yearbook 1984

WHS Alum ’85 Walker pictured with her fellow STUCO officers.

Mallory Walker '21, Contributing Writer

The 1980’s was a totally gnarly time at Westborough High School: from fire crackers in the lobby, to winning super bowls, to big hair and polo shirts. Leigh (Hopkins) Walker was here for it all. Looking back on her time at WHS, she remembers it fondly and with a smidge of embarrassment.

Walker graduated from WHS in 1985, two years after her long term boyfriend, Jamie Walker, who was a big part of her high school experience. He was a football player and she was a majorette. It’s remarkable that Walker had time for a boyfriend. She was involved with much more than just the majorettes. Walker founded the Students Against Drunk Driving (SADD) chapter at Westborough, was a part of Student Council all four years, was Student Council president of her senior class, and worked throughout high school. She was actually promoted to supervisor at her job at Tempo Fashions and earned a whopping $6.25 an hour!

As for her time at WHS, much of it was spent hanging out on the balcony or at her locker (they used them back then) or in the lecture hall, which no longer exists. Walker and all her friends were model students, and like most at WHS in the ‘80s planned to and did go on to college. If you asked her friends back then what she would’ve been when she grew up they would’ve said a lawyer. Walker was a student leader, very outspoken and good in debates.

Along with many of her other talents, Walker was also decent in French which came in handy on her school trip to Paris. Although she could have been more proficient considering she along with three friends went into a restaurant and ordered four cokes, it would’ve been helpful to know that “coq” in French means chicken. Needless to say they hadn’t expected four chicken meals to be served to their table.

When asked who her favorite teacher was during her time at WHS she readily answered with Carl Sharpe, her freshman English teacher, and David Fredette, the student council advisor, who, thanks to social media, she is still in contact with 35 years later. There is no question that Walker enjoys reminiscing on her high school years especially when it comes to the fashion of the ‘80s.

“Was I on trend? Of course I was!” Walker exclaims indicating that shoulder pads, polo shirts, and feathered hair were all staples in her ensemble.

In her free time, Walker spent lots of time with her boyfriend and close friends. Her sophomore year was spent playing Asteroids and Pong on her brand new Atari, as well as driving around Westborough and going to other towns, which sounds like something WHS students now can relate to. Her friend group spent a lot of time together in person or on the phone for hours since social media was still decades away. Dates with Jamie typically included a movie at the former Ruth Flick theater and dinner at a local restaurant.

Thirty -five years after graduating Walker remains in Westborough having raised two kids, one of whom has graduated from WHS in 2019 and a current WHS senior. Walker’s post high school experience consisted of attending Boston College and living in neighboring towns throughout her twenties. She ended up back in town because she was married to her high school sweetheart and he had close ties to Westborough.

Although Westborough High School physically looks very different from what Walker knew so well, she still remains a devoted fan of Ranger sports. She was very involved with the football program, specifically the fight for the lights. Her only gripe as an alumni is that the school colors should have remained “cardinal red and white.” Other than that, her Ranger pride still runs deep.