TED Arrives at WHS

By: Mark Aronson

“What do you want to be remembered for?”

That has been the question one bulletin board on the first floor C-wing has been posing WHS students for the past month.

The bulletin board in question belongs to the TEDxYouth@WHS organizers, a group of students that have been working since October to put together a TED event for the WHS community.

TED (which stands for Technology, Entertainment, and Design) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the proliferation of “Ideas Worth Spreading.”  TED hosts two annual conferences where they invite speakers that have had an impact on the world to share their stories.  The conferences, however, are expensive ($6000), and you can only pay that after you’ve gotten on the extremely selective guest list.

TEDx events aim to solve this problem by putting the TED event in the hands of independent organizers.  TEDxYouth events focus on a teenage audience.

TEDxYouth@WHS is happening at the high school on Thursday, April 4.  For further information about TED and the event, an information table is located in the lobby at break and the group has a Facebook page (TEDx Youth at WHS.)  Only 100 students will be able to attend the event and sign-ups will be on a first come, first serve basis.

On Monday, April 1, seniors will be attending an in-school assembly that will act as a preview of what the TEDx event will be like.  The organizing committee will explain what TED and TEDx are, as well as show a TED Talk.  Although only seniors are invited to attend the preview, anyone from WHS can sign up and attend the actual TEDx event on Thursday night.

The theme of the event is “ignite,” because the organizers are aiming to ignite a feeling- whether that be passion, emotion, motivation, or compassion- for a cause or purpose in the audience.  Students who attend the event will listen to a series of talks (including 3 live speakers and a few pre-recorded ones) and spend some time discussing them.

A few weeks after the event, the attendees will participate in a community service project as an example of how teenages can have a positive effect on their community.

TEDxYouth@WHS will take place on Thursday, April 4 at 6:30pm.  Attending a TEDx event is quite possibly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so don’t miss it!