Course Selection: An Unfair Selective Process

Every February every WHS student receives a giant course selection book full of potential courses for students to could from for their next year’s schedule. Although the majority of a student’s schedule is filled with required classes, in every schedule there is usually room for an elective or two. And every year there are some electives that everyone wants more than others. And every year, the guidance counselors say they cannot guarantee students, especially freshmen and sophomores, their top electives. However, the hope is stated that upperclassmen will receive their chosen electives.

Now more often then not, I hear upperclassmen still saying they aren’t getting the electives they wanted. Sometimes there is a schedule conflict, but a lot of times there are underclassmen who are in the classes that the upperclassmen wanted.

Yes, there are a bunch of great electives offered just for seniors. One might think this is great! How cool, a senior doesn’t have to worry about being closed out of an elective because a freshman or sophomore somehow got the elective.

Well, there are three really popular classes in the Social Studies department that a lot of students like to take. I know a bunch of kids got into all three of those courses and then there are other students, such as myself, who signed up for all three of them and were not placed into any of them.

Now if someone tries to tell me that the course was filled up or it didn’t fit into my schedule, then I’d like to know how all three fit into so many students’ schedules. It just isn’t fair. It doesn’t make sense that some people get every elective they want, but then there are seniors who still get stuck taking an elective that they don’t want to be taking.

I know that the guidance department tries to be fair, but clearly the system isn’t working. There are so many unhappy students who never get to take electives that they want because of full class rosters. Some type of change has to occur. The electives are there so that students can try different classes and/or take some classes that they might really enjoy. So what happens to the students who don’t get placed in their top choices? They end up in a class that they really don’t want to be in and then the entire reason for having electives is completely lost. I would love to see our course scheduling changed to meet the needs of the upperclassmen’s electives