THE RIVALRY CONTINUES:Freshmen Girls’ Soccer defeats Algonquin

On Thursday, September 24, 2009 the WHS Girls’ Freshman Soccer team battled it out on the field against the Algonquin Tomahawks. This game was very important as the Rangers Girls’ team is undefeated at4-0.

The Rangers knew the challenge they were up against and were ready to fight. Although there were times where the girls weren’t focused and goals were scored against them. “For some reason we just weren’t as focused as we should have been and that really hurt us,” said Jen Steurer, one of the captains of the team. The Rangers channeled their frustration towards the T-Hawks but they could still not seem to score.

Algonquin had their head in the game and although they had not won many other games, they were determined to win this one. “We knew what we had to do in order to win this one,” said the captain from Algonquin, “we worked together and I’m really proud of the girls.” They were more aggressive and more tactful then the other teams the WHS Girls’ Freshman team had previously played. “What we really worked on during practice was ball control and shooting, and it seems to have really paid off!” said the Algonquin Girls’ coach.

Both teams were really aggressive on the field and there were many fouls called by the ref. There were at least three calls for pushing from the Westborough team and even more from Algonquin. Many trips were also called which created many direct kicks. Direct kicks are kicks made by the team that was fouled and is shot toward the goal from the spot where it occurred. But overall it wasn’t the best the Rangers had played this season and it was a rather sloppy game.

With a goal scored in the first half and then another two in the second half, the final score was Algonquin: 3, Rangers: 0. The game was fought hard until the end.