A&E Banner

New DVD release 17 Again starring hot throb Zac Efron became an instant hit once shown in theatres. Efron starts his new career outside of his famous character Troy Bolton from Disney’s High School Musical as teen Mike O’Donnell. Surprisingly, Efron performs well as an adult getting a second chance at being 17.

17 Again is about adult Mike O’Donnell, played by Matthew Perry, who is unhappy with the way his life has turned out. Not getting a raise in his job after 16 years, constantly arguing with his wife and two kids who refuse to associate with him, Mike has become miserable and is trying to find a way back to happiness. Visiting his old high school, Mike runs into a janitor who mystically allows Mike to revisit the days when he was the popular star of the basketball team, thus permitting him to make major decisions of his high school career over again.

However, seeing his children suffer through high school in different ways and seeing his wife in a new light, Mike begins to think this experience is not for him. Instead, he begins to make life better for others and realize it may not be what he really wants to rewrite his life over.

This PG-13 film truly bases its moral off the main character, Mike, realizing he is looking over how wonderful his life has turned out to be. The title, 17 Again, has everything to do with Mike O’Donnell returning to high school again as a 17-year-old searching for his initial source of happiness.

Personally rating 17 Again 6 out of 10 stars, this film focuses on the teen and tween demographic. However, it has a “family” flair to it, so one would not be surprised to hear of a variety of ages watching and enjoying Zac Efron star in this new DVD release.