Say “I do” to Same Sex Marriage

by: Kate Barrette
    Here in Massachusetts, we’re one of the six states in the United States to allow same-sex marriage. In Connecticut, Iowa, D.C, New Hampshire, New York, and Vermont, as well as Massachusetts, same-sex couples are legally allowed to marry and have families. In New Jersey, Maryland, and Rhode Island, same-sex marriages are recognized, but not legal to be performed. In all of the other states in this country, same-sex couples are not allowed to marry. Why are these people treated differently? The reason for this discrimination is because some people are unable to handle two people who are the same gender being in love.
    Same-sex couples are no different than straight couples. They go out on dates, go to work, hang out with their friends, do everything normal couples do. They fall in love. Falling in love isn’t something you can control. You can’t pretend to be in love with someone, and it can be painful to try to ignore those feelings. Some people say that being gay isn’t something you’re born with, it’s a choice. But why would anyone choose to go through the hatred and discrimination that same-sex couples are put through by today’s society?
    All same-sex couples want is to be allowed the opportunity to get married. They’re not asking for huge economic change, or a complete overhaul of the government. They’re simply asking for the ability to marry the person they love and start a family. So many children that would have ended up bouncing between foster homes are adopted by same-sex couples. These children are given a loving home, with two parents who love them. It shouldn’t matter if those parents are a man and a woman, two men, or two women. All same-sex couples want is to be allowed to love