We all know at least one crazy New Yorker… and ours is Señora Piscia

We all know at least one crazy New Yorker... and ours is Señora Piscia

By:  Ivette Garcia

As anyone who has ever met Señora Piscia knows, she is an extraordinary teacher. From the moment I walked into her class sophomore year I knew she was insane. Not the bad kind of insane, but in the crazy, outgoing, funny and caring way. Her students know her classes are never ordinary and are often filled with many learning opportunities and often very yummy food. What’s funny though is that Señora never thought she’d ever set foot back in a school after she had graduated from graduate school.

Growing up in the hustle and bustle of New York City, her life was always fast paced and continuous.   During her time spent in high school her love for languages started to develop and flower into an array of many desires to learn everything about language.  One of the people who had a positive influence on Senora’s choice to pursue languages was her Spanish teacher Mr. Ellis. He really made a connection with her and really brought out her love for languages.

And even though Senora had a really good relationship with Mr. Ellis, she never gave teaching much thought. Having earned her Bachelor’s degree in Spanish from CUNY (City University of New York) and her Master’s in Hispanic Literature from the prestigious Columbia University, she believed her only real talent was language. So she worked as an administrative assistant for a Brazilian company called Rede Globo in New York. That is until she saw an advertisement in a newspaper for a Spanish Teacher at a small school that required no certification at the time. So, she took the job and fell in love.

Senora has now been teaching for over twenty-seven years and has been at Westborough for almost fourteen. While she has been here she has made life long relationships with both faculty and teachers. When asked about how she felt about Westborough she says, “I have never taught more motivated, intelligent and happy students than in my fourteen years here.”

In class she is always telling her stories from her teenager years and her many anecdotes about times in the subway. If you ever get the chance to talk to Senora make sure to ask why you should never wear shorts when you’re in a Spanish country, or about the time she had to beg complete strangers at the subway station for a subway token.

If any of your siblings or friends has ever had Señora Piscia make sure to ask them about their class, and I can almost guarantee you that they have countless stories to tell you about the crazy and fun Señora Piscia.

View Comments (1)