Fifteen Year-Old Autism Speaks Supporter: Westborough High School Sophomore Rebecca Ackerman

By: Neena Aggarwal

WESTBOROUGH- By running bake sales, washing cars, walking around her neighborhood collecting money, and organizing other fundraisers in her spare time for over four years, sophomore Rebecca Ackerman of Westborough High School has raised over $55,000 for the organization Autism Speaks.  And the amount is still growing. 

Inspired by her autistic twin brother, Dave, Ackerman spends numerous hours every weekend with her family and friends raising money as leader of the fundraising team she started, called Doing it for Dave.  As a result of her efforts, she has received many awards, such as the Kids Who Care, Youth Spotlight, Speaker, and Make a Difference Awards.

In 2010, Ackerman and the Doing it for Dave team raised $18,000.  This year, Ackerman hopes to raise $25,000.  One of her role models is the 2010 Walk for Autism leader, Kelley.  In addition to raising money for her team, Ackerman is a member of the Autism Speaks Walk Committee and she helps Autism Speaks with various projects. 

Although the work overload is sometimes stressful, all the time and effort is worth it at the end of the fundraising year, marked by the annual Walk for Autism in the fall, when all the money adds up to a great amount.  Ackerman also feels that her efforts to support Autism Speaks bring her friends and family closer together because their help baking for bake sales and contributing to other fundraisers as part of the team is crucial to her success.

At Westborough High School, Ackerman is involved in Best Buddies; which allows students to participate in fun activities with special education students; community cooking; which includes cooking for the homeless; Dumbledore’s Army, and Pottery Club.  In her spare time, she enjoys crafts, hanging out with friends, and anything that involves the Harry Potter or Twilight series.

Rebecca imagines herself working for Autism Speaks in the future.  “Never say “never,’” a phrase commonly known from Justine Bieber, is a phrase she thrives off for success.