Teaching at the Right Angle: WHS Math Teacher Mr. Richards

By:  Sam Silverman and Jordan DeArmond

Most kids have no idea what they want to do when they are older and what path they want to take. This was not the case for Justin Richards, who knew since he was eight years old that he wanted to teach and coach. Coaching was his top priority and teaching fit into that lifestyle perfectly, with work hours ending at two o’clock each day.

While Richards was attending Assumption College, he began student teaching and was placed in Westborough High School. Conveniently, once he graduated, there was an opening in the math department at WHS. He took the job and has been teaching at WHS for six years.

Richards said that he prefers to create a relaxed environment for his students, because he feels they learn best that way. Therefore he tries to lighten the mood by “making fun of them as much as possible”, and students seem to respond well to this technique.

Currently Richards coaches the girls’ JV basketball team at Westborough, and the boys’ varsity baseball team in Oxford. Baseball is his favorite sport, so he enjoys coaching it the most. Richards said that coaching a girls’ team and coaching a boys’ team are like “night and day”.

In ten years, Richards sees himself as still teaching at Westborough High School, or to have moved to a higher athletic position, such as an athletic director.

When asked which famous person he looks up to, he answered, “Bobby Cox”, because when he was the manager of the Atlanta Braves, he led the majors with being ejected from the most games.

In the summer of 2010, Richards was married to Brigid Mullen, who also teaches at Westborough High School. They went to Puntacana, Dominican Republic, for their honeymoon. Usually during his summers, Richards can be found playing golf, relaxing on the beach, or coaching sports.

When one of his current students was asked what she thought of Mr. Richards, she replied, “I like the way he teaches.  He has a great teaching style; it is very easy to follow.  He is very friendly and he cracks good jokes.”