A Day In The Life of A Freshman Volleyball Player

by Brigid Bowser

As a freshman on the Junior Varsity Volleyball team, you may think that Steph Melvin is an experienced junior in high school who has gone to multiple volleyball camps and played club volleyball for at least four years. Not to say she isn’t experienced, but this is Steph’s first year playing the sport. When I asked her if she would ever consider club volleyball, she answered with an enthusiastic “Yes!”

Steph Melvin is a freshman at Westborough High School. She tried out for the volleyball team because in middle school she met Coach Anderson and he persuaded her to play because of her height and jumping ability, which would be a good asset to the team. Over the summer, she decided she would practice volleyball with her good friend Brigid Bowser, who is also a freshman. All that hard work paid off, because Steph made the Junior Varsity Volleyball Team. “I never thought it would happen!” She exclaimed.

Being one of the many girls in the Westborough volleyball program, Steph knows what its like to play on a team, working together to reach a common goal. She describes the program as “Great. Serious and intense but very fun at the same time. You learn a lot because it’s like one big family. You are forced to make friends because all the grades are different.” As you can see, with all the support from players, big and small, Westborough volleyball will be around for a while.

Steph was excited for her upcoming game, verses North Middlesex. She says that “it will be good competition. We beat them last time so I hope that we can do it again. We all need to work together to bring North Middlesex down, because it will be the last time we play them.”  Adding another win to the record of Westborough High School’s  JV volleyball, the team won against North Middlesex, the game was an easy win in a not so close game.