Fall 2010 Top 10 Moments

It has been a privilege to be able to lead the best fan section in Central Mass this fall and I hope it only gets better. But to recap this past fall I will do a Fall 2010 Top 10 Moments (in my opinion, of course). These moments will not necessarily be specific moments or plays, it may be the whole game, or week, or really it can be anything. Feel free to argue with me in the comments.

10. Brian Goodliffe Goal

The boys soccer team’s 5-2 over victory Groton Dunstable was highlighted by one of the best goals I have ever seen in a soccer game. To read more about this please visit my previous post https://lobbyobserver.org/lobbyo/?p=2580.

9. Football wins in OT at Foley

With just under two minutes left in the game, trailing by six, Andrew Grant led the Rangers down field to tie up the game and hopefully go for the win with the extra point. But the extra point was blocked and would’ve been returned for two points in favor of Doherty if it wasn’t for the speedy sophomore Tom Lawton, who made the game saving tackle. In overtime the Rangers received the ball first, and through the pouring rain pounded the ball into the end zone to get the win in front of yet another amazing crowd.

8. Girls’ soccer wins under the lights

For the second game under the lights the girls’ varsity soccer team defeated Milford 1-0. The lone goal was scored by the freshman Olivia McGourty and it was all the Rangers needed to seal the second win under the lights for Westborough sports. Once again this game brought hundreds of fans out and the energy was high throughout.

7. Field Hockey first team to win

The field hockey team got the honor of being the first Westborough sports team ever to play a game under the lights at home. The hype for this game was so huge, and the team lived up to it winning 2-0 against our rivals Algonquin. All the players agreed that this was the most exciting game to play in because of all the fans and the energy there was that night.

6. Orlando beats North Middlesex

When the North Middlesex Patriots came to Westborough I can guarantee they didn’t think they would be facing the soon-to-be Metro West Player of the Week. Brian Orlando lit up the Patriots for 235 yards on 12 carries and 3 touchdowns while the Rangers won 35-6.

5. Boys’ soccer wins under the lights

Along with the team winning , this game had another incredible play in it:  Cam Houghton’s goal with the assist from Steve Geller. Geller was right in front of the huge student section when he sent a perfect cross to Houghton who headed it in to add to the Rangers’  lead. Not only did the team perform well during this game, the fans did too. Let’s just say there was a rollercoaster that involved the parents too.

4. Ali Reed + Laser Show = MVP

This volleyball season was highlighted by Ali Reed’s phenomenal play. She dominated on the court with her “laser show” serves and her ridiculous spikes. I don’t understand everything about volleyball, but I do know one thing:  Ali Reed is very good at it (and I’m not the only one who believes that, she won league MVP!).

3. You, the Fans

As I said before I have the privilege  to help lead the best fan section in Central Mass. We have been featured multiple times on Charter TV 3’s show the “Football Frenzy” and we have definitely had an impact on the games. This upcoming Tuesday we have yet another chance to make an impact and be featured on Charter 3 when the varsity boys’ basketball team opens up at home at 7pm. Let’s make our players proud.

2. Under the Lights Week

I think if any of us look back at this 2010-2011 school year, one of the first things that will be brought up is the “Week of Lights.” This year marked the first year that Westborough fall sports have ever had lights. For one week during the fall season four teams (field hockey, girls’ soccer, boys’ soccer, and football) got to play games under the lights in front of incredible numbers of fans. These were some of the highest energy games I have ever attended and they will not be forgotten. Westborough sports are 3-1 under the lights at home, not too bad.

1. 14-0! 14-0! 14-0! Thanksgiving

This year  was the fourth straight year that the Westborough Rangers defeated the Algonquin Tomahawks on the annual Thanksgiving Day game. This means that this year’s seniors have not experienced a loss to the Algonquin Tomahawks in all their years here. This also means that now until next year’s  Thanksgiving game we now have the right to chant “14-0! 14-0! 14-00” at any Westborough vs. Algonquin sporting event…ahh this year is going to be good.

Let me know what you think, what did I miss? What should’ve been higher than what? I want to know where you think I went wrong and where I was right, so be sure to comment on this post.

View Comments (1)