Support Our Troops

Last year on Christmas Day, my family received a phone call form my brother Mike who, at the time, was stationed in Iraq serving our country. We were very lucky to be able talk to him because there was a large  number of soldiers who were trying to call their families and couldn’t get through; however, we only had 15 minutes to talk to him. He asked us what we were having for dinner and how the day was going. After we told him we were having our traditionally,  huge Italian meal and that we all were having a great day.  He told us what he did. On Christmas Day my brother Mike spent 12 hours on patrol driving around a desolate Iraqi town. While on patrol he missed the Christmas dinner that was set up for the troops stationed at his base. Instead he had a tuna MRE ( an MRE, or meal, ready-to-eat, is a self-contained, individual field ration that soldiers eat when there are no facilities to make food). All I could think about is with a day like that, how could you even know it was the holidays?

So in this holiday season let’s try our best to make all of our soldiers feel like it actually is the holidays by bringing in items that can be sent to them in a care package. The Lobby Observer is organizing a care package drive in which people can bring items to Mrs. Stoker’s room (C115) or to the Lobby by December 17th. Look for the fluorescent yellow  flyers around the school that tell you what soldiers would like. In case you don’t have time to look for the flyers or cannot find them, here are some of the items that my brother asked for the most while he was serving in Iraq last year:

• body wipes in plastic pull-out canisters

That was no mistake that I wrote that three times, I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of body wipes we sent to Mike while he was overseas. The opportunity to shower does not come often for soldiers, so the closest thing they are allowed to have are body wipes.

Other items:

• chapstick
    • phone cards
    • powdered drink mix
    • headphones
    • hard candy (NO CHOCOLATE! IT MELTS!)

Hopefully we can gather a lot of these needed items and send over a huge care package that hopefully makes the soldiers’ holidays a little bit better.