Best Week of Sports in the 508’s History

Last week Westborough varsity sports teams went 3-1 under the lights on the turf at Westborough High School. At each one of these games there was an incredible turn out by Westborough fans. I can only imagine what it would be like to play in a game like that at home, but sadly as a baseball player I won’t get that experience (but I’ll get back to that later…) I was so impressed by how well everything went down and how amazing everything looked. If this week doesn’t convince Westborough residents to try to get lights again then nothing will. Before this week, I had attended at least one of each of the teams that played under the lights game. When I showed up to the games under the lights I was just blown away with the number of people there. People who had nothing to do with the team or our school showed up just because they were intrigued by our beautifully lit up field. Imagine if we had this permanently?

I commend each team for playing  their hearts out and impressing us, even if not every game was won. This whole week brought a new atmosphere to the field and to the school. The whole school was brought together by the lighted field and it was an awesome feeling. Even JV teams got to experience what it was like to play with the lights on them. When I got to this school I never once expected to be saying at 7pm on Thursday that I’m going to WHS to watch boys soccer under the lights, it’s just unreal. Sadly as most of you know I only made it to the last four minutes of the football game on Friday because of family commitments but what I saw of it was amazing. The stands that usually fill up only once every two years at Thanksgiving were more packed than I had ever seen. Not only were the stands packed but the fence around the field was lined with people, and the hill next to the stands was covered with kids. Absolutely mind blowing to walk in and see that.

Now I quickly want to complain like a young child about fairness. If fall sports get the chance to a week under the lights, why don’t spring sports? It is completely unfair. Now I’m not going to argue this and sound ignorant by saying baseball or lacrosse is just as popular as football, because we all know that just isn’t true. Football, like at most high schools, is the most popular sport for fans. I’m just saying if the fall sports get this opportunity at least give the spring sports a shot at getting the lights. I’d be more than willing to have fundraisers for another week of lights if money is the issue. Now because I play baseball I assume you think I want lights on the baseball field. To be honest I believe that is a complete fantasy. Baseball requires very high light structures because of safety issues with the ball getting lost in the lights, and the rental lights we had for this past week were not nearly as high. By all means though if we could somehow make lights on the baseball field happen I would be for it, but it just doesn’t seem possible. I am more campaigning for your spring sport teams like lacrosse on turf or a tennis match on the courts. I just think it would be fair to see that happen.

Well thank you for reading, I hope to get more posts out soon.