Jeremy Nute: Teacher, Coach, Landscaper

Jeremy Nute: Teacher, Coach, Landscaper

By: Andrew Lampi

WHS Track & Field Coach Jeremy Nute was born in the town of Billerica, but soon moved to Westborough at the age of two.  In high school he was a self-proclaimed AV geek, filming events such as the prom and working as a techie in the school plays. In addition to the AV club and the plays, he also ran cross country every year as well as participated in track his freshman and senior year. When asked about his favorite part of high school, he said that track and cross country were the biggest things to him. Coach Nute graduated in 1999 from WHS.

After high school, he attended UMASS Dartmouth where he started as a major in Civil Engineering. However, after a while he switched his major to Humanities and Social Sciences. T

He decided to become a teacher mainly because he “likes the process of teaching people new things” and because he just likes the idea of teaching in general. 

In 2003, WHS Coach Roger Anderson stepped down as Head Coach for the Boys’ Indoor Track team and suggested that Coach Nute take the position. He decided to give it a shot.

Eight years later Coach Nute is still the Head Coach; he also is the Assistant Coach for  the Cross Country and Outdoor Track teams.

Why does he coach? “I like to see kids grow throughout the four years on the team, both in their athletic ability and as people,” Coach Nute elaborates.

In 2006, he was hired as a CAD teacher at Westborough High. Unfortunately Coach Nute was laid off as a teacher in 2009 due to budget cuts. 

This cut, however, now allows Coach Nute to work full time at his landscaping company, Jeremy Nute Landscape Services.

Although he misses the experience of being a teacher, Coach Nute still likes his current job as he likes the variety of work tasks at different times of the year.