Welcome Home, Ms. Power!

By: Leah Callery

WHS Social Studies teacher Ms. Power is back this year after taking two years off for a maternity leave.

“It felt like I never left,” Ms. Power stated while reflecting on her re-entry back into the WHS community.

Every morning Ms. Power sends her three daughters to school and then comes to Westborough to teach History and Legal Studies, topics she is very passionate about.

Ms. Power is especially enthusiastic about Legal Studies, an elective she created that addresses how the legal system works. In this class students learn constitutional law, criminal procedure and trial advocacy.

Ms. Power was raised in Dedham, MA. She played basketball and softball, participated in intramural tennis and held a job at Fenway Park. She later attended Worcester State College where she earned her degree in Education. Ms. Power did her student teaching here at Westborough before she became a History teacher in 1995.

When asked what her favorite aspect of teaching was Ms. Power instantly responds, “Working with students. When I close that door I know that it’s me and the students. I love that one on one and then down the road, seeing former students as adults and hearing about everything they have accomplished. It’s awesome.”

Ms. Power absolutely loves Westborough and is honored to be part of the staff. She loves the dedication of the teachers and the fact that the “kids come first.” By being at Westborough so many years she has witnessed the school change over the years.

Although her family misses her now that she has returned to school, she is happy to be back. Ms. Power concludes, “I’m always proud to say that I teach at Westborough High School, it feels like home to me.”