Big Screen Buzz

by Sneha Subramaniam and Veda Awasthi

When it was put up a couple of weeks ago, student and faculty began buzzing about the new LG flat screen television hung up on the main staircase in the lobby. “Why was it there? Where did it come from? How did it come? Why do we need it? How can we afford it?” were questions swarming through minds of the students. When Westborough High School principal, Mr. John Smith, was asked for his comment on the matter he said, “It is not an unnecessary splurge, but a way for students to communicate.”

Many people wondered why the T.V. was bought in such a bad economic time. According to the district technology specialist, Mr. Steve Masciarelli, the TV was purchased by the technology department, using last year’s budget. Masciarelli emphasizes the fact that unfortunately “the timing wasn’t great” to install the T.V. It was bought in the fall of 2008 through a partial donation from a family in town. Masciarelli, who provided most of the information about the TV, is a district wide employee who is in charge of purchasing, repairing, and making decisions in relation to anything “technology based.”

Most students have admitted to not listening to the morning announcements, so the T.V. is a way for students to be in touch with student activities as well as getting involved in school. The idea of the T.V. sprouted from Officer Dapolite’s computer screen in the window of his office. The technology department heard positive feedback for this technological feature and it was decided to have a T.V. on a larger scale for everyone to see. According to Mr. Smith, “It is not unusual to have something like this in a school”, adding his former school, Nashoba Regional Valley High School, had one too.

The purpose of the T.V. is to act as an interactive message board enabling students, the public, and faculty to know what is going on in the high school as well as in Westborough. The T.V. will show video clips of school events (athletic and drama clips), deadlines for sign ups, upcoming events, and general announcements by the school as well as different clubs.

Masciarelli hopes in the future they will be able to make the T.V. an interactive tool, so if the school holds a poll or puts up an S.A.T question of the Day on the T.V., students will be able to text or send a message answering it. The T.V. is web based, and at the moment is operated by Masciarelli. He hopes in the future that an intern will be able to spend about an hour day collecting information and uploading up new messages on the T.V. “It is a great thing to have…and it will hopefully be a positive addition to the school where people will stop and find out information,” concluded Mr. Smith.