National Depression Screening Day: October 7th

By:  Ali Strand

The town of Westborough has taken steps to help its community by participating in National Depression Screening Day on October 7. The Westborough Youth and Family Services office is offering free and confidential 30 minute mental health screenings to test for anxiety, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and depression.

With the current economic status of the United States, many people are losing their jobs, which is putting them under financial stress and provoking anxiety. However financial stress is just one factor that can cause depression. Lately the number of calls to domestic violence hotlines has radically increased.  Many people are seeking mental health support as  a number of mental health professionals have concluded there is more depression and anxiety in the country now than there was after 9/11.

Depression is a very serious issue as it has caused many people to feel that taking their own life is the only way out. In the last year 1.1 million Americans committed suicide; this makes suicide the 11th leading cause of death in the country. In order to see the severity of depression or suicidal thoughts in this community a poll was taken in WHS in 2008 with the following results: 20% of students reported feeling sad or hopeless almost every day for more than two weeks and 10.5% of students seriously considered suicide in the last 12 months.

The National Depression screenings will take place in the Youth and Family Services Office at the Forbes Municipal building (45 West Main St) from 10 am to 7 pm.   The office is room 21 on the second floor; to make an appointment or for more information, contact John Badenhausen at (508) 366-3090 or at [email protected]