Welcome to the 2010-2011 Lobby-O!

Dear WHS Community,

Rejoice! As we begin another school year together be assured your school newspaper The Lobby Observer is ready to share your news with the community and the world (see lobbyobserver.org). That’s right, you can take pride that Aunt Margery, who lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico, can read a recap of the school play you were in last weekend. Grandpa Joe can see a video clip of your game winning soccer goal from his home in Florida. This is all made possible because you attend (or, for our WHS parents, your son/daughter, students attend(s)) a high school, which has an online school newspaper!

Therefore, without further ado, it is my pleasure on behalf of the entire Lobby Observer staff (over 70 students strong with three advisors) to welcome you to the 2010-2011 edition of The Lobby Observer!

We have been busy as some of our editorial staff and advisors met last June and over the summer to discuss improvements to the paper and to insure we were reporting the news right from the start of the school year. This letter is proof that we intend to report the news from day 1 to day 180.

For the second straight year, our staff is comprised of students in Journalism 1 and Journalism 2, along with interns, and hopefully as the year goes along, some after school students. I am excited by the amount of manpower we are going to have to make sure we cover the many stories, which are sure to occur inside and outside of WHS.

Speaking of potential stories, one of the biggest changes we are looking to make this year is expanding the paper’s sports section. We want to cover more games, have more interviews with athletes and coaches, and help you track your favorite Rangers sports teams. And certainly we figure there is no time like the present to be covering Rangers athletics, as this school year certainly promises to be one of the most thrilling ever. The first night athletic contests in school history will guarantee it. You can be sure we will be covering many angles of this historic school event.

One other significant change I would like to share with you is that the paper will have its first blog. A WHS Student Council member will blog on a regular basis about student council news.

A new community events section about Westborough and Massachusetts will be added. We realize that we live in ever-changing historic times and understand that we would not be fulfilling our journalistic duty if we did not recognize what was happening outside of our immediate lives.

I wish everyone a successful and enjoyable school year – stay tuned for more news.

Sincerely,

Myles Goldman

Lobby Observer Editor