WHS Outdoor Classroom Grand Opening: October 4

By Jack McGinn ’19

Westborough High School’s new outdoor classroom will hold its grand opening on Thursday, October 4 at 2:15 p.m. The outdoor classroom is located to the right of the front entrance of the school.

“One of our goals was to expose students to math outside of just the algebra curriculum and have them be a part of something long-lasting that they can be proud of,” says Special Education/Math teacher Ms. Leach who along with Math teacher Mrs. DeBoer collaborated on the project.

When weather permits, the classroom enables students to experience a class setting unlike anything experienced in middle school or previously at WHS. Outdoor learning will be engaging for students as an escape from the monotonous, everyday classroom experience.

The classroom consists of picnic tables, standing tables with umbrellas, and other seating for students to enjoy a unique and fun learning experience. Mrs. DeBoer and Ms. Leach put in a lot of hard work with the help of their Foundations of Algebra class to set-up the outdoor classroom last spring.  However, the space is also open to all WHS classes.

The following donations made the new space possible:  Mr. Callaghan, Green Thumb, Mugford’s Flower Shoppe, Ace Hardware, Bark Unlimited, and a grant from the Westborough Education Foundation.

Ms. Leach says the purpose of the classroom is “to provide an alternative learning space for the entire school where students can get out of the classroom and enjoy the outside.”

View Comments (2)