March 14 Walk Out: A hope to end gun violence

by:  Eric Gould

On February 14, 2018, 19 year old Nikolas Cruz entered Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida and killed 17 students and teachers.

As more of these school shootings occur, students are beginning to rally and protest gun violence. On March 14 at 10am, along with other schools across the country, Westborough High School students participated in a walkout to bring their voices to the issue.

The walkout was 17 minutes long to honor the 17 lives who were lost during the shooting in Florida.

The message of these walkouts is to increase awareness that students–the ones directly affected by these school shootings–have voices and ideas on the ongoing issue.

This message can definitely start a new conversation regarding gun laws.

Students from Stoneman Douglas High School participated in the national walkout, most of them were in school the day of the shooting that occurred on February 14.

Messages from not only adults, but youth can hopefully spark debate on the issue of gun violence.

These school shootings are horrible and obviously should not happen. I am sure there is way that the number of these shootings can decrease, we just have to find it, and implement it into our society.

Some walkouts were canceled due to having no school because of the weather. These walkouts are being rescheduled so that students from their schools can participate as well.

This is hopefully a start to ending school shootings.