Daddy’s Home 2:  a must see comedy for the holidays

By: Tracey Martins and Julia Neiva

They say “family is the best part of Christmas” but is it really? “Daddy’s Home 2” ventures throughout the holiday season with the wild, conflicted Whitaker and Mayron family. This movie starts off with a bang that connects back to the hilarious fatherly feud from the first movie. In “Daddy’s Home”, biological dad Dusty goes to visit his family when he encounters the dreaded step dad Brad.

At first, Brad and Dusty don’t hit it off and face many conflicts involving fatherhood, but later on they unite for their family and become co-dads. This time around the hit movie features grandpa Kurt Mayron, Dusty’s dad, and Brad’s dad, Jonah Whitaker visiting for Christmas, which starts a dispute among the whole family.

While Brad and his father are very close and share similar traits like being clueless and gentle, Dusty grew up with a rebellious womanizer father who wasn’t around often. Due to his father’s behavior, Dusty has adapted some of his characteristics, even though he may deny them.  In order to win over the family, El Padre, or Kurt, takes the family to an airbnb for Christmas which ends up being a nice lodge with a view. They encounter many humorous obstacles such as Brad trying to show off, so he tries to cut a tree illegally which ends up being a cellphone tower; he then almost kills Brad which in turn costs the family $20,000.

This movie includes many talented actors who bring out the best of the jokes. What was surprising was some of the actors are very young, but still express their character really well. For example, Scarlett Estevez and Didi Costine who play Meghan and Adriana did a scene where they are drunk after they sneak some alcohol-filled eggnog on Christmas Eve into the birth of Jesus outdoor nativity scene with the whole family for an audience. As for the comedy movie veterans such as Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg, their performances were comical and made the movie very enjoyable for the audience.

Another funny scene was when El Padre tried to buy Dylan a gun but the family talks Dylan out of it. So Meghan volunteers herself to go hunting instead of him. She and Kurt go into the woods and she tries to take a shot, but she shoots Kurt in the shoulder instead. While the family is distracted wondering if El Padre is okay, Meghan tries to finish what she started and shoots a turkey.

The only scene that wasn’t so realistic was the scene in which the family couldn’t go home since there was an avalanche on the highway on Christmas. The Whitaker and Mayron family decide to go to the movie theater since they couldn’t go home. When they arrive, they are accompanied with hundreds of other families, which isn’t really something that would be likely to happen. The movie goes on to end with all the families in the theatre singing “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” including John Cena.

This comedic film is entertaining for teens and adults considering that it is rated PG-13. The movie does use explicit language, so young children shouldn’t watch it. Most people can relate to this film because it celebrates a very popular holiday, Christmas, and includes a family that have many conflicts with each other that end up being very humorous.

Overall, “Daddy’s Home 2” was a joyful and incredibly funny film that exposed the reality of family issues during the holidays. We definitely recommend this movie to anyone looking to have a good laugh and enjoy a well put together movie. “Daddy’s Home 2” features many unexpected turns that keep the viewers on the edge of their seats with their eyes glued to the screen.