WHS Soccer welcomes back alum Griffin Barry to coach

By: Luke Lentine and Peter Bersani

Have you seen a familiar face at the WHS boys soccer games?  Once a four-year varsity soccer goalie, Griffin Barry has returned to WHS as the new assistant coach for the boys varsity soccer team.  He comes back just two years after playing for the squad himself.  Coach Barry loves coaching for the players at WHS and loves helping out the program that did so much for him.

Coach Barry brings a strong coaching skill set to the table including extensive knowledge about formations and an overall smart “soccer mind.” He has high expectations  for the team, especially with the upcoming central mass playoffs.

Coach Barry has been playing soccer since he was 4 years old, and it has always been his favorite sport. His favorite memory of playing soccer with the Rangers was during his junior year season against Groton-Dunstable. Coach Barry had the game winning save and the game winning save during the PK shootout.

After graduating in 2016, life without playing soccer was more than a little more “boring” for him as he used to play five days a week during his youth.  He has now turned to coaching his favorite sport, which allows him to continue with the game he loves from the other side of the field.

In addition, Coach Barry is coaching his 15 year old younger brother Jackson  who is a sophomore at WHS.  Jackson is is very talented at soccer and has been on the varsity soccer team as a freshman. Coach Barry has a fantastic connection with his younger brother.  Coach Barry explains, “We have a mutual connection to switch things around on the field, which is easy and definitely fun.”

Coach Barry is undecided about what he will do come next soccer season as he may return for his junior year at Auburn University.  He envisions a career continuing to coach soccer in his future but as of now he is still uncertain.  For now, he is a welcomed addition to the team.