Rangers Football Lose to Chieftains 34-14

By:  Jack McGinn and Eric Gould

After beating Tantasqua 17-0 in their season opener, the Rangers faced Nashoba Regional High School this past Saturday at Westborough High School.

It was a tough game for the Rangers as they fell 34-14 and moved to 1-1 on the season. Although a loss isn’t what they were looking for, it’s a noticeable improvement from last year’s 55-6 loss at the hands of the Chieftains.

Senior wide receiver Sam Lis had a big game. He started the scoring off for the Rangers with a 75 yard touchdown reception on a pass from senior quarterback Peter LaMountain. Lis later scored the Rangers only other touchdown of the game on a 25 yard halfback pass from senior Michael Keogh.

Junior linebacker/defensive end Zach Walker was solid defensively for the Rangers. He intercepted one pass and returned it for 20 yards, helping the Rangers offense with good field position at their own 40 yard line.

Senior linebacker Martin Moran acted as a valuable last line of defense for the Rangers. He prevented many potential long touchdown plays with skillful open field tackles.

The Chieftains powerful run game led to some long plays that were ultimately too much for the Rangers to overcome. They moved to 2-0 on the season with the victory.

The Rangers have a big game this Friday under the lights in Marlborough at 7 p.m. They look to improve to 2-1 against the 2-0 Panthers in enemy territory.