Could the Red Sox make it to the World Series?

by:  Adam Dapolite

It’s no secret that the Red Sox haven’t done as well as we Boston sports fans are used to our sports teams doing. With the Patriots winning their fifth Super Bowl people are wondering, what’s next for Boston? The situation isn’t looking very bright for the Celtics, so this turns heads towards the Red Sox. So could the Red Sox make a run for the World Series?

The Red Sox are currently 23-21, which may not be as good as last season but it could be worse. In fact it has been worse for the Red Sox, in 2014 they were 20-28 in May. So is it safe to say things are looking up for the Red Sox? Short answer, yes. During the offseason, Red Sox acquired pitcher Chris Sale from the White Sox. They have performed well with him in their line up. With a 0.667 win-loss percentage, Sale has come through for his new team.

Pitching isn’t the only area to which the Red Sox have made adjustments. The position of designated hitter was vacated when David Ortiz retired at the end of last season. Hanley Ramirez then stepped up into what were some of the largest shoes to fill in the MLB. It has been a high level performance from Ramirez that has started to turn heads and makes doubters rethink their position on the Red Sox. Ramirez barely tails Mookie Betts in home runs with 6 home runs this season while Betts has 7.

With growing talent in the field and tweaks to the pitching and designated hitter positions, the Red Sox could be a real contender in the pennant race. Veterans on the team such as Dustin Pedroia and Rick Porcello have helped the blooming talent of the rookies such as Andrew Benintendi and Jackie Bradley Jr. With spectacular plays at the wall and amazing double plays, the Boston defence is a force to be reckoned with. Their growing success in both the infield and outfield have given the team a glimmer of hope that a championship will come to Boston again.  

While the Red Sox are third in the AL East right now, with time and patience the Red Sox could come back and win the World Series for the first time since 2013.     

View Comments (1)