Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

By:  Adam Dapolite

Growing up reading the Harry Potter series and watching the movies, this newest addition to the J.K. Rowling legacy Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them holds a special place in my heart. I had have had the novel on my bookshelf for sometime now. As someone who has read not only this book but the entire Harry Potter series and all accompanying books at least five times, there is no doubt in my mind that the books are simply works of art. But recently my love for the Fantastic Beasts book has faded due to the amazing movie adaptation.  

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is written by J. K. Rowling and directed by David Yates. Premiering in theatres on November 10, 2016 the film made $777 million worldwide. Fantastic Beasts was the ninth most grossing movie of 2016 and was also said to be one of the most anticipated movies of the year.

Set in 1920’s New York City, Fantastic Beasts has action in every scene and will leave you on the edge of your seat till the last seconds. The story follows Newt Scamander, a “magizoologist” on his way to Arizona to release a creature he has come across during his recent ventures. Along the way several fun and exciting characters and creature are introduced to the viewers including Queenie and Tina Goldstein, Jacob Kowalski, and a bowtruckle that is always Newt always keeps by his side. Many references are made to the Harry Potter film franchise, which both keeps the film interesting and is a tip of the hat to Fantastic Beast’s larger predecessor. With a complete and quite fantastic ending the movie not only has an action packed climax, but an aesthetically pleasing and definitive ending. With all loose ends tied up, it’s no wonder many complained when they thought they had seen the end of Newt and his companions.

Amazing acting and spectacular special effects added to an already quality film. With actor Eddie Redmayne as the lead, the film was destined for greatness from the start. Redmayne has had roles in films such as The Theory of Everything and Les Misérables. Fantastic Beasts naturally had multiple special effects due to the fact that the film centers around magic and magical beings. A variety of pyrotechnics and computer animated effects were used to bring the story I came to love as a child to life. The creatures looked very lifelike and many times I forgot that I was watching a fantasy movie. The overall attention to detail and wonderful acting by the whole cast made the movie not only a fun film, but an experience that was truly fantastic to have and made me nostalgic at times.      
In March 2017 Fantastic Beasts was released for rental and purchase.  Fans were also delighted to hear that not only will there be another Fantastic Beasts movie, but four more installments to the film franchise. If the next movies are anything like the first, J.K. Rowling may have her second large success.