Matt Ruhl: The heartbreak of your last game

By: Matt Ruhl

The last buzzer sounds, the final out is made, the last goal is scored. It all comes to an end eventually.

For almost all of my childhood, all that mattered was sports. Whether it was trying to keep up with my brothers in backyard football or playing down at Target field on a Friday night, it was all that mattered. I thought that being a really good athlete was going to take me wherever I needed in life.

Sadly, things didn’t go as planned. I became a high school athlete, and that was the end of my era. For the first 18 years of my life, I felt like sports was what kept me going. And now, I’m 18 years old and will never be an athlete again. All the practices, all the sandwiches eaten on the bus rides home from away games, all the blood, sweat and tears… and it’s all over. For those who are still in high school and are still lucky enough to play the sports they love, enjoy it. Enjoy it while it lasts. Because it seemed like yesterday I was playing in my first freshmen basketball game, and now I’m regretting every time I didn’t give it 110% in every practice and game I ever had. This is most likely the only time in your life that you’re going to be playing competitive sports, so don’t let it slip away. Stop blaming your coach, stop complaining about the cold weather, and appreciate what you have. Because sooner rather than later, you’re not going to have the opportunity to put on that Rangers uniform anymore.

I told myself after every season to appreciate the next, because it was going to be over in the blink of an eye. The graduating seniors always said it, but you’ll never know what it really means until you’re there. Until you feel the heartbreak of your last game, knowing that this is your final time walking off the field as a player. So remember to never take it for granted, one day you’ll wish you could play just one more game.