Girls Lax Continues Undefeated Record

by:  Lindsey Bromm

Since the beginning of the March, the Westborough High School girls varsity lacrosse team has been hard at work building a real force to be reckoned with on the field. As the season started off slowly, waiting for the snow to melt off the turf and postponing a handful of games due to bad weather, the girls eventually started to roll, taking win after win on the field.

With a nail biting one goal victory over Groton Dunstable to kick off the season, the Rangers knew that they were going to have a tough schedule ahead of them. Although, after this tight game, the Rangers continued to grow as a team as they beat Wachusett 14-6, toppled Bromfield 16-5, and even captured the win against their biggest rivalry, Algonquin, winning 9-5. Along with five other victories, this places them first in the Midland-Wachusett A Division and lands them the number one spot in Massachusetts as well. With this title also comes a target on their backs.  “Everyone wants a piece of you,” Coach Debish emphasizes to her players, “Everyone wants to chip away at you until they can be the reason you lose.”

In addition to this fierce competition, the team is forced to make a lot of new adjustments as they lost five key starters from the previous year. The three senior captains of this years team, Kaleigh Wright, Nicole Foster, and Olivia Weckwerth, have helped the team transition from season to season. Foster comments on the way the team has been playing, “I’m so proud of the way the team has been working together because every win so far has been a complete team effort from the defense to the offense.” As the season progresses she feels even more confident in her team and “[she] can’t wait to see what the rest of the season will bring and [is] hoping for another great season” because she knows they can really bring it.

The Westborough High School girls varsity lacrosse team is coming off an undefeated 2016 season and hopes to continue this winning streak. With a large age variety of girls, from freshman to seniors, Weckwerth says that the group, “really works well together as a team and everyone contributes in their own way.” She believes that the reason for their success is the drive inside every player as she adds, “we all want to win and are willing to put in the effort it takes to win.”

The team’s most recent win was against their most challenging out of league competitor, Duxbury. Westborough pulled off a 14-9 victory, making this the second time in Ranger history to beat the girls varsity Duxbury team. On offense, Nicole Foster and Chloe Goebel lead the score, tallying 11 goals together. While the Ranger’s defense shut down Duxbury’s attackmen on countless plays, only allowing 9 goals, and goalie, Kaleigh Wright making 7 incredible saves throughout the game.

The postseason is looking good for the team as they add more and more wins to their record. Now they stand 9-0, in which Coach Debish would add that as of now it really is a, “good day to be a Ranger.”