Beauty and the Beast: A must see

Beauty and the Beast:  A must see

download
By: Gabrielle Delgado

We all know the timely tale of the girl who fell in love with a beast, as we have all seen the classic animated movie that was released in 1991. Just recently, a new and live action version of Beauty and the Beast was released on March 17, 2017.  This film owned up to the standards that the 1991 version gave us; I would highly recommend watching Beauty and the Beast.

The talented and wonderful Emma Watson plays Belle, a smart and beautiful young woman from a French village who is considered a slight outcast and has a love for books. Dan Stevens plays the Beast, who was once a prince and was cursed into the appearance he holds for being selfish and cruel. He can only become human again if someone falls in love with him before time runs out as petals fall from a time-ticking rose. Luke Evans plays Gaston, an arrogant man who desires to marry Belle, and is enraged when he finds Belle has love for a beast and not him, which makes him want to kill the Beast.

I went to see this movie hoping for a vibrant experience of flamboyant characters, beautiful settings, and wonderful music, and I certainly was fulfilled by the experience. The characters had spunk and charisma, each portrayed very similarly to the original but each had their own individual and current style. Belle is an intelligent and kind woman, who grows to love the Beast, despite his fiery and aggressive persona. It was impossible to hate either of them when they became affectionate, but Gaston, on the other hand, was very easy to dislike. This made the plot even more riveting. I think that Gaston would take his own hand in marriage if he could, since he is so egotistical.  Throughout these characters’ adventures, many songs are intertwined into the plot.

There is a lively and loud song sung by Gaston (Evans) and his sidekick LeFou (Josh Fad) where they portray Gaston’s -seemingly- amazing appearance, looks, and overall persona and it is humorous and content. It made me want to dance in my seat! Another beautiful song that plays is the ever-famous and wonderful Be Our Guest. This version is sung mainly by Lumiere (played by Ewan McGregor), who was a worker in the castle and was turned into a candle. He loudly sings and presents dinner to Belle with vibrant decorations while countless instruments play. This song really brought the scene to life for me by creating a witty and entertaining version of household things coming alive.

The settings throughout the movie were stunning as well. In the beginning, Belle is shown happily walking through the French village she lives in. It is a beautiful, small town placed in vibrant, green hills with cozy cottages and carts full of fresh fruit pulled around by giddy townspeople. Gardens bloom of tulips and lilies surrounded by off-white picket fences that line cobblestone roads. Since the story is placed in 18th century France, Belle skips around in a flowing denim-like bodice dress with a boyish twist, including visible pockets and varying patches of fabric. She wears a frilly blouse underneath that is presentable but still appropriate for work around the village, since she likes to stay active. I think this portrayed Belle perfectly and I loved the fact that she wasn’t just any girly-girl like the directors could have made her look like.

Overall, this movie was fantastic. The songs were moving, the characters were stunningly relatable to the original film but also had a modern twist to them, and their surroundings were beautiful and full of color and life. I definitely recommend that you go see this movie while it is still in theatres. It is a must see!