WHS Baseball Co-Captain: Matty Ruhl Leading the Rangers

By:  Alexa Nichols

WHS senior captain Matty Ruhl has had quite an impact on the Westborough High School baseball program throughout his four years at WHS. Ruhl is known for his speed, work ethic, and love for the sport. As this year’s lead off batter, with a .295 career batting average, and 20/22 stolen base record Ruhl has proven himself a leader on the field. With an outgoing personality and positive attitude to match, fellow senior captain Johnny Kelley comments “off the field Matty always has a smile on his face and can effortlessly brighten everyone’s day around him.”  

Coming off a 10-11 record last year, Ruhl, the team’s centerfielder, is hopeful to get back to the District Semi finals for this upcoming season.  Ruhl says, “I have very high expectations for this upcoming season. Although we have a pretty inexperienced pitching staff, we have a solid returning core. We will also be moving down from Midwatch A to Midwatch B which should give us the chance to improve our record this season.”

Ruhl was named co-captain this season along with returning seniors Ben Horsfall and Johnny Kelley.  Ruhl shares “I hope to have the same effect on the underclassman this year that my previous captains Brendan Shunney, Dan Lis, and Dylan Kehoe have had on me. I have looked up to all three of them who have motivated me to be the player I am today.”

WHS Varsity Baseball Coach Kittredge says, “Matty has matured quite a bit through his high school years. He has continued to work hard throughout his career to work on and off the field. That growth has led him to this point where is our captain and leader this season. We look forward to a big senior season from Matty this year.”  

Ruhl shares that he has loved baseball and has been playing since the age of 4; baseball has been in his family for as long as he could remember since both of his brothers played at WHS before him.  He looks up to MLB second baseman Jose Altuve for the Houston Astros as a role model.  “Altuve is great leader who has overcome the odds of being a shorter player in the league at 5’5. I, too, am a shorter player, so respect his perseverance.”  

As for his future, Ruhl will be continuing his education at Quinnipiac majoring in Marketing; he will play baseball recreationally but not as a collegiate sport.

Be on the look out this season for number 8, Matty Ruhl.