Week 3 rec ball wrap up

Week 3 rec ball wrap up

By: Mohammed Ramzanali

The beginning of these weekly write ups always start with something exciting, for the most part. But, as long as Team Morin is in first place, there isn’t much to write about that hasn’t been said already. Ryan Alexander scored 24 points and Shaw Taylor had another good game scoring 18 points. Zach Walker has been providing some good numbers over the last couple of games but we didn’t see this as he received an unfortunate technical foul and had to sit the remainder of the game.

Team Meyer has had another great week and moved up in the rankings earning the #2 spot. Avery Andrews had another game scoring more than 20 points. Moiz Saqib dropped 15 points. This team has finally found a certain chemistry that is working for theem and it will be exciting to see what they can do with it in the next couple of weeks considering they have an easy schedule ahead of them. With Kevin Ji scoring double digits and Saqib finally taking some pressure off Andrews, this team can do some damage if they keep it up. Ji and Saqib still have to be able to put up good numbers and be sturdy second options.

Team Smith has also moved up in the rankings this week after a nice win over Team Barry. Granted Team Barry is still missing Joe Fitz and with him the outcome of this game could’ve been much more different, they still pulled out a close one. Everyone undermines this team’s chemistry. But nobody realizes this team is winning because of it. No one on Team Smith scored more than 10 points. Senior rec ball analyst Luke McGrath led his team with 9 but yet they were still able to score 52 points. They beat a quality team with quality players such as Spencer Nagi, Jackson Barry, Logan Zais etc. The list goes on and on. They will need better numbers from their top four players if they want to beat teams by a larger margin, naturally, but they do need more scoring from Ryan Shufflebarger and other players coming off the bench to help them.

After a four point loss this week to Team Smith. Everyone on Team Barry wishes Joe Fitz was healthy. But even without Fitz, this team has an abundance of scorers which need to be on the spot every week. We saw it this week that with a lot of missed opportunities plus not getting back on defense translates to a loss last minute loss. Despite what happened, this team will bounce back and will show everyone that they are a premier, top-5 team in this league with or without Fitz in their line up.

Honestly speaking, and not because I am on the team they beat by one point, Team Hillier played an okay game. Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing special. This team is so much better and they almost lost to a Matty Ruhl buzzer beater. Eugene is the only reason this team won that game. Ryan Liu didn’t do as well as he normally does and Tyler Stott, despite having three blocks, didn’t do well on the offensive side of the ball either. This team need all three players, especially Stott and Liu, to step up big time if they want to make a serious run and be taken seriously.

As always, you have Teams Bersani, Ruhl, Van Heest and Kelly populating the middle of the rankings. These teams are one win away from entering the top 5. I know Team Ruhl was one shot away from being in the top #5 *sigh*. Team Bersani has got to learn how to play without Sam Correnti. Correnti received a technical foul with Walker and had to sit out of the contest. Nonetheless, Ryan French, Ryan Nichols, Pete Bersani and Dylan Conners have to show up big time and score more than four points in a quarter like they did on Sunday. Even though Vanheest’s record is above .500, they have to understand these are the power rankings. They had two unimpressive wins against Team Philbrook and Riela. The most impressive thing was probably Greg Amador’s 30 points Monday night. This team is still a very good team that can make a very serious run. We shall see what happens in the coming weeks. As for Team Kelley, they have to figure things out like who else will score besides Max Polich. Even though Devin Parent put up some good numbers, Tom Mespelli has got to become heavily involved on the offensive side of the ball. If this team can beat some of the other middle teams they can easily move up and make a major impact on the league.

For the teams that reside on the bottom of the rankings, there probably isn’t much wiggle room to the top. One team that could switch things up real quick is Team Riela but they have had a disappointing first half of the season. They are currently 1-4 and haven’t been able to do much. Thomas VonderVellen is putting up promising numbers and that is about it. Ben RIela has got to be more consistent and Max Houle, who suffered an unfortunate injury, has got to come back and be the big man down low Coach Riela envisioned at the start of the season.