Deirdre Pedersen Fits the Ruby Slipper in “The Wizard of Oz”

Deirdre Pedersen Fits the Ruby Slipper in The Wizard of Oz

Deirdre pic

By Abby McGinn

There has been much excitement around the upcoming school musical The Wizard of Oz. Many students want to go see the production to relive their childhood memories of watching the beloved movie created in 1939 starring Judy Garland. WHS senior Deirdre Pedersen, who stars as Dorothy, is one of the standout cast members–a student with amazing talents and an impressive musical resume.

The Wizard of Oz is the third musical Pedersen has participated in at Westborough High School. She was previously in Fiddler on the Roof and Pippin, and she’s taken part in a variety of productions outside of school. Her highlights include playing Elle Woods in Legally Blonde, Annie in Annie, Mary Lennox in The Secret Garden, and Catherine in Pippin. (She has been in Pippin twice.)

Pedersen’s passion for theater comes from her love of singing. “I’ve been singing as far back as I remember–since I was two or three years old,” she says. “Music, and especially singing, was always a huge part of my life growing up because my parents are both musicians.” She remembers her first performance at the age of eight with the Westborough Players Club, as the baby kangaroo in Seussical. She subsequently became interested in musical theater because it “was a great way to be able to perform and sing at a young age.”

Outside of the theater, Pedersen performs at various events. “I sing with two area 15-20 piece Swing/Big Bands. We play at private parties, galas, and outdoor events,” she explains. She also performs with her dad as part of a vocal/acoustic duo. They give volunteer performances at local nursing homes and retirement communities, as well at community events.

She doesn’t have a favorite musical style. “I like a lot of different genres like pop, country, and jazz, though I think my voice is most suited for jazz,” Pedersen says. In the past few years, she has become increasingly interested in singing and performing The Great American Songbook–American music written from 1920 to 1965. In fact, she recently performed with Grammy-nominated Great American Songbook Foundation Founder, Michael Feinstein.

Pedersen’s love of singing won’t stop after high school. “I plan to major in music in college, with a concentration in vocal performance as well as double major in an outside field,” she says.

Right now, Pedersen is focused on her upcoming performance in The Wizard of Oz. “I’m really excited about playing Dorothy. It’s such an iconic role that everyone pretty much knows, so it’s also a little scary! I’ve always loved The Wizard of Oz so I’m thrilled to be playing Dorothy, especially this being my senior year.”

She’s excited by the strength of the cast. “David Leon as Scarecrow, Jon Twomey as Tin Man, and Owen Larkin as Lion are going to be fantastic. They’re really talented and so much fun to work with,” Pedersen says.      

The musical takes place March 3, 4, and 5. “I think the audience should expect a fun, exciting, and entertaining musical theater experience. There are so many talented people working on putting the show together, from our amazing Director, Ms. Slotnick, Musical Director, Ms. Greer, and Choreographer, Ms.Jango-Cohen, to the tech crew, set designers, and costumers, to name a few. Center Stage is known for their amazing musicals and this year will be no exception!” Pedersen says. “Don’t miss it. It’s going to be a great show!”