“Hairspray Live!” Review

Hairspray Live! Review

32

By Annabella Biancheri

On December 7, the long awaited Hairspray Live went live on NBC. The production of the Tony-award winning Broadway musical was performed by a cast of popular celebrities including Derek Hough, Martin Short, Ariana Grande, Jennifer Hudson, and Dove Cameron.

“Hairspray Live!” is based on the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical, the live TV movie takes place in 1962 Baltimore.  The main character Tracy Turnblad played by Maddie Baillio, is an overweight teenager whose dream is to dance on “The Corny Collins Show,” a local TV program. Tracy wins a role on the show despite many people judging her weight, she instantly  becomes a celebrity overnight.

One of Tracy’s friends, Seaweed played by Ephraim Sykes, teaches her some dance moves in detention that helps land her on the show.  She doesn’t like that he isn’t allowed to dance with her both on TV and at school because he is African American. Tracy bands together with her parents and a variety of friends from both races to attempt to integrate the all-white “Corny Collins Show.”

The performance went very well, I think everyone stayed true to their characters.  I was very impressed with Baillio as it was her first big acting job. She got the lead role and did an excellent job becoming her character.

The live aspect of the show meant that their were plenty of quick changes, but despite that inconvenience, the cast pulled off a spectacular show. It was interesting to watch because before commercial breaks, they would give you a peek behind the scenes. They showed actors running off stage and hopping into golf carts to take them to their dressing rooms or across the lot to another set.

One thing that did bother me was that sometimes the music was so loud that the balance was off and I couldn’t hear the dialogue.

The cast had a wide variety of celebrities, original cast members and newcomers. Harvey Fierstein return to reprise his role on Broadway as Edna Turnblad in “Hairspray Live!.”

11

Overall I really enjoyed the performance it was very fun.  The theme of racial equality was both timely andI relevant.