Dig for a Cure

Courtesy Steve Aronson
Steve Aronson
Courtesy Steve Aronson
 By Kaylie Doherty

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 the Rangers Volleyball team will take on the Shrewsbury Colonials in the 7th annual Dig Pink match, home at 6:15.  This match is a highlight for Westborough athletics, having raised over $1,700.00 in the past 6 years for the Side-Out Foundation. 

The Side-Out Foundation is a national campaign to raise awareness and funds to support breast cancer.  Over 1600 teams in all 50 states participate in Dig Pink.  This year the Ranger’s goal is to raise over $4,000.00 and have already raised $475.00 in online donations. 

Before the game starts, players and coaches have a ceremony celebrating those we have lost, those who are still fighting, and those who have survived all types of cancer.  Although the ceremony is very emotional, the teams collect themselves and play knowing their support is making a difference in the lives of many people who have been affected by cancer.    

This year is particularly special for the team because of the recent loss of the beloved Mrs. Piscia.  To show their support, the team has decided to incorporate Mrs. Piscia’s initials onto their shirts, and have personally invited Rebecca, a former volleyball player, and her father to accept a bouquet of flowers during the ceremony. 

To show your support, you can donate online at https://www.side-out.org/cb/campaigns/campaign/10313 or go to the game on Tuesday where the team will be selling baked goods, t-shirts, and various other pink trinkets.  100% of the profits and all other donations go to the Side-Out foundation.  The team will be asking for $2 donations at the door, as well, and hope to see the whole school filling the stands decked out in pink.   

View Comments (2)