“The Blind Side”: A Real Life Journey

blindside

“The Blind Side” is an inspirational true story about a poor, African-American young man named Michael Oher who is from inner city Memphis. He is taken in by a wealthy white family and through their support and Michael’s personal determination; he ends up playing in the national football league. This movie is an account of the miraculous journey that Michael and his adopted family endures, everything from Michael’s troubled background to the decision of which university to attend.

The story itself is enough to make a great movie, but the acting made it the exceptional film that it is. Actors Sandra Bullock (as Leigh Ann Tuohy), Tim McGraw (as Sean Tuohy), and Quinton Aaron (as Michael Oher) do an incredible job playing their roles by truly becoming the people they are portraying in the movie. Their southern accents sounded authentic and natural. And the course of events, while amazing and inspirational, was also realistic and not overdramatized. Every event that was recreated in the movie was validated, so as to have the most accurate account of the true story.

After seeing this movie, I felt a very strong urge to try and help somebody else. The fact that this 2 hour and 6 minute film had me looking at life in a new perspective is reason enough to go see it. Rarely does a movie I see stay in my mind for as long as this one did. Usually I am entertained by the films that I see, but that is it. “The Blind Side” was completely different in that it literally had me analyzing my life, and it made me feel like I had been taking everything for granted.

This is a very powerful film that could possibly help to inspire a lot more people to dare to be as selfless as the Tuohy family. The world could use a lot more people like the Tuohys, and this movie is a great start towards accomplishing that goal.

Anyone could benefit greatly from seeing this movie, and I personally give it two thumbs up.