Automated Flight Becomes Mainstream at WHS

YoungEagles

The days of pilots flying planes are disappearing. They simply input checkpoints into the onboard computer, and the autopilot does most of the actual flying. “Once the pilots engage autopilot, they basically don’t have to do anything, so long as everything works right,” according to Mr. Sherman advisor to WHS’s newest club: The Aviation Club.

Aviation Club was formed this year to provide students interested in airplanes with the opportunity to learn more about them and engage in discussion with an expert. In a typical meeting, members gather to view a film on airplanes, narrated by Mr. Sherman, during which students are encouraged to comment and ask questions. This new club meets once a month, from 2-3pm, in the Library Conference room.

Although WHS substitute teacher Mrs. Sherman is technically the club advisor, her husband Mr. Sherman is the aviation professional. He was been a private airplane flight instructor for 37 years and is qualified to teach twin-engine flight as well. Mr. Sherman obtained his private license for flying airplanes after his experience in the navy as he flew in the Vietnam War.

The discussion over the course of the year is divided into civil and military airplanes. So far, air carrier aviation and general aviation have been covered in the civil category. Carrier aviation refers to airline flying while general aviation is anything up to but not including scheduled flying. In the next meeting members are delving into the military division, which includes the fixed wing, rotary wing, and vertical takeoff and landing categories. Fixed wing planes are typical airplanes, rotary wing are helicopters, and vertical take-off and landing complete take-off and landing like helicopters but then fly like airplanes.

Mr. and Mrs. Sherman also have information about a free learn-to-fly program called Young Eagles, which has locations in Marlborough, Fitchburg, Worcester, and Stow. They will be supplying the specifics to their members at their next meeting, which is December 14.