UNICEF Club Update

By: Jess Nario

UNICEF is an international organization that is committed to helping children around the world who suffer from malnutrition, unsafe drinking water, lack of immunizations, and more.WestboroughHigh School’s UNICEF club, advised by English teacher Mrs. Roney, is a club that is dedicated to carrying out UNICEF’s mission.

The club’s officers are President Melissa Zhang, Vice President Jess Nario, Treasurer Ashley Chiu, Secretary Kerry Chen, Event Planners Kate Burlile and Hannah Schur, and PR Maria Hession. Although there are elected positions, anyone is allowed to join. The club meets a few times every month on Tuesdays after school.

UNICEF’s upcoming event is the Tap Water Project that takes place during World Water Week in March. This project involves recruiting restaurants to participate and ask their customers if they would like to pay $1 or more for their water that is normally free. The money raised will be put towards providing sanitation programs and equipment for areas that don’t have safe water for the community.

President Zhang says, “This year is going pretty well so far for our club and I’m really happy with all of the people that support us. It’s really important that we’re aware of other children like us living in areas that are much less privileged. That’s our main goal and hopefully it’ll be a successful year for us.”