Mrs. Cohen: a reliable WHS Guidance Counselor

Mrs. Cohen, a guidance counselor at WHS, has been (and continues to be) a reliable adult to go to with personal and academic problems for over six years.

After graduating from UMASS Amherst with a degree as an English teacher, Mrs. Cohen found herself without a job in sight. So she started working at an educational agency where she started counseling. She enjoyed it so much; she decided to go back to school at UMASS Boston to earn her Master’s Degree in Counseling.

After receiving her degree, she became a counselor at Sharon High School, then Framingham High School and then at an alternative high school in Boston. Over all she has been helping high school students for 15 years, and she still loves her job.

Six years ago, Mrs. Cohen heard about an opening at Westborough High School. She liked the school, and it was close to her house, so she thought that it was a perfect fit for her.

As a guidance counselor, Mrs. Cohen helps students with personal problems in school and at home, as well as schedule changes and college recommendations. “I’m always on the go and no two days look alike. There is no such thing as a typical day,” she says.

When she’s not at school, Mrs. Cohen is at home with her husband and two children. Her son is in fourth grade, and her daughter is in ninth grade. Some hobbies that Mrs. Cohen enjoys doing are reading, knitting (she taught herself how to knit), and spending time with her kids. She has also been a journalist and has even written some articles that have appeared in newspapers.

Mrs. Cohen is a very friendly, but busy guidance counselor who works very hard and tries to help anyone that needs it. We are glad to have her here and are grateful as she helps out as much as she can.