A Blast from the Past: WHS Faculty Share their Prom Experiences

by Robbie Butler and Jessie Potosnak

With spring in full swing there are many things for students to look forward to: the warm weather, spring sports, and of course, the beginning of prom season. The sound of students chatting away about prom is filling the hallways. Going through a day of school without hearing about dates, dresses, or limos is almost impossible. Prom season can bring lots of drama, or “prama,” but also lots of fun.  Another thing prom season brings is memories.

With all the talk about prom in the hallways teachers start to think back to their own prom experiences. While prom is an experience that most teachers have gone through, everyone’s experience was unique and different. When asked about their prom memories, the teachers had similar answers but each with unique twists.

Although it is common for proms to have a theme, that is not always the case.  Math teacher Ms. Basque’s prom theme was “A Night to Remember”, while fellow math teacher Mr. Collins and science teacher Mrs. Lotti’s proms were without themes. 

The teachers wore tuxedos and gowns as students do today, but the colors and styles have definitely changed over the years.  Mr. Collins sported a light blue tuxedo to his prom, and Mrs. Lotti’s date wore a white tux. Mrs. Lotti wore a bright pink ruffle dress with a sweetheart neckline and a bow.  Ms. Basque, meanwhile, was dressed more like present day students.  She kept it simple with a black, strapless dress with a white strip on top. 

While it is common today to take a limo to prom, that wasn’t always the case.  Both Mrs. Lotti and Mr. Collins did not take a limo to their prom. Their proms were also in two very different locations. Mr. Collins, a WHS alum, went out for dinner with the rest of his class to a restaurant and then came back to the Westborough High School lobby for the dance part of the prom.  Mrs. Lotti recalled that her prom took place in a tent on her high school’s football field.

“Our class was so bad that we had been thrown out of every venue within a fifty mile radius. Everyone’s heels were getting stuck in the mud of the field but it was still fun,” Lotti said. 

In terms of dates, Mr. Collins and Ms. Basque both went with their respective boyfriend and girlfriend.  Mrs. Lotti went instead with a good friend.

One thing the teachers had in common was what they remembered most about their proms.  They all agreed that they mostly remember the atmosphere and having fun with their friends.  Beyond the atmosphere, Mr. Collins  fondly recalls  “all of the many colors and how well everyone was dressed.”

Mrs. Lotti laughed about a very specific memory: “lots and lots of ruffles everywhere. Pretty much everyone was wearing ruffles!”

With prom approaching next weekend, another generation of students will be creating their own memories.  From the frantic search for the perfect outfit, to just the people you go with, everyone’s experience will be different. While everything may seem to be in style now, who knows whether it will be in the future?  Maybe someday someone will ask you about it.  Prom is definitely an experience that lasts forever.

View Comments (4)